Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Quick thoughts on "Good to Great"

Jim Collins has such great insight on how and why some businesses succeed and others don't. I read the full version, not the version that is geared specifically towards nonprofits, but there were still a ton of pointers that can be used for nonprofits. Especially because I have been reading so much on nonprofits and how they can use social media, I liked this quote "When used right, technology becomes an accelerator of momentum, not a creator of it" (p. 152). Some nonprofits think that starting a Facebook page or a Twitter account will translate into a spike in donations and a huge increase in cause awareness. Just as Collins said, an investment in social media may increase awareness and donations, but only as much as the NPO is willing to work on their supporting programs.

I have tons of other thoughts on this book, and I am working on a longer article incorporating some of this.

PS-if Malcolm Gladwell and Jim Collins ever got together to write, I think reading their book would make my head explode. In a good way.

No comments:

Post a Comment