Thursday, February 18, 2010

WoW for WOW!!

My boyfriend is an avid World of Warcraft player. I don't get it, it annoys me and it takes up A LOT of his time. He has made up a character, earned weapons and "gear" and has also made a "pet". I don't think that there is a real purpose for these pets, I think that they just act as a silent sidekick. These items can be purchased with gold that is earned through completing different challenges in the game. Last fall he let me know that for $10, he could purchase a "pet" for WoW. The fee for the pets would go to the Make A Wish Foundation, and would just be added on to the monthly charges for the game.
It turns out that this promotion has made over $1.1 million for the Make A Wish Foundation. That's a whole lotta wishes! There's the stereotype of the WoW gamer that they are lazy Mountain Dew addicted nerds. This huge donation from the players of WoW disproves this theory, and I hope that the makers of WoW (and other similar games) can continue this momentum.

No comments:

Post a Comment