Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Yesterday I met with another employee (Anthony) of a foundation who is in charge of managing prospects. I love going on these informational interviews since it gives me a more well rounded view of the nonprofit world and the different employee opportunities available. On the flip side though, every time I talk to someone new, I want to do their job. Perhaps it is because they are so passionate about what they do day to day or because I want/need a job so badly. I'm not sure, but after speaking with Anthony, I had a moment where I wanted to make a career of prospect management and analyze data and follow up with employees about how their contacts with potential major donors is going.

Anthony also gave me some really sound advice on what I can do with my resume to make it more nonprofit friendly. He suggested that I keep it to one page and that I remove the "Objective" portion of the resume. I agree with him about this, but I think there are two very different schools of though about this--some people insist that the objective should be on every resume, others think that it is just a waste of precious space.

what are your thoughts on the resume geared towards nonprofits? Does having an objective matter? How about the fact that I am "changing careers"? Does that warrant an objective?

No comments:

Post a Comment