Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Status messages the automatic way!!

Recently, I became part of the Progressive Exchange Listserv. Yesterday, someone from water.org or one.org sent out an email asking all of the PXers to join World Water Week. There was a link to the Facebook application for the week, so I was immediately intrigued and clicked on the link. I was given the opportunity to choose exactly how involved with the campaign I wanted to be. I had the option of donating my status messages and/or my profile picture for the campaign. I decided that I would just do the status message, and I have posted a couple of status messages from water.org already encouraging others to donate their messages, and to learn more about World Water Week and the plight of those who do not have access to water.
I am happy to donate my status messages—I didn’t even have to do anything since the app does all the work for me. I am a little afraid that this is a “Big Brother-y” type app since it automatically updates my status messages and it can change my profile picture. I hope that my friends aren’t getting spammed by the app, and I can always check and update my preferences for the app at any point during the week.
A few days ago, I wrote about how our social networks have become our editors for news, videos, issues, etc. I don’t know if my network on Facebook is clicking on the links or not for these posts, but I feel good knowing that my friends and family (the only people in my Facebook network) know that this is important to me.
Has this become the future for advocacy in nonprofits? Will it be as easy as creating an app that will give you access to status messages and profile pictures? Will this be cost prohibitive for some organizations? But does this cheapen advocacy for an organization? I don’t feel like I am really a part of World Water Week—sure I gave my status message, but I’m not doing anything more than that…It will be interesting to see if this catches on or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment