Monday, March 1, 2010

Communication Personalization

As part of research for a job interview, I signed up for multiple email campaigns. I wanted to get the experience from the user's point of view, and to see what things are good about an email campaign and what aren't. So my inbox has been inundated with emails from these nonprofits.

I wanted to see what the sign up process was like--how it easy it was to find on the website, whether there were options for which communications to receive, etc. Some of the websites were incredibly easy to use and there were others that took a bit of hunting to find. If an organization wants to get new supporters, advocates and donors, it needs to be easy to find!! I know that everyone blogger says this, but it is really important!

Most of the organizations that I signed up with sent an immediate confirmation email and I began receiving emails immediately. This was great--i signed up and while I was still feeling passionate, I was given the tools to do something about it!

However, one of groups that I signed up with took over a week to send me a confirmation! Everyone today wants immediate gratification, and taking over a week to start receiving emails made me question whether or not I wanted to support this organization that takes that long to send a confirmation!

I think the moral of the story is that nonprofits should have an immediate response or confirmation to strike while the iron is hot for their supporters. Nonprofits should also have an "outsider" try to use the website and give feedback on its ease of use. Sometimes we get so familiar with our own websites that we forget what it's like for someone on the outside, so asking a volunteer to investigate it will help to get another perspective.

No comments:

Post a Comment