Wednesday, March 17, 2010

know yourself

Yesterday was another informational interview. I have recommended to anyone that I know who is looking for a job to go on as many as early as possible. Anyway, back to the informational interview. I had coffee with a friend of a friend who makes her living as a professional grant writer. Sometime over last summer, I decided that my life work was going to be grant writer. I literally read every book in the Austin Public Library system on writing grants, researching grants and how grants are evaluated. I learned a lot, and tried to apply for some jobs, but before I could get a job, I needed experience. So, I have volunteered to write a grant for an organization that is looking to do something that I am actually passionate about! I was very lucky to be able to write my first grant on something that I actually like!
Anyway, we chatted about how her experience as a contractor/consultant has been and the unique challenges facing grant writers who do not work directly for an organization. She mentioned that she does not just do grant writing, she also will work to develop programs, evaluate past (failed) grants and mentor someone who is looking to expand their career into grant writing. She said that one of the biggest things to focus on right now is the services that I will and will not provide. Creating boundaries within my work will help me to be most effective at my job, most effective for the organization and efficient.
I think that this was the thing that struck me most about our conversation—that setting boundaries for when I pick up the phone, should a client call, what to agree to do, etc. is the most important because you know your own strengths and capabilities better than anyone. I believe that acknowledging these things will help you to become successful!

No comments:

Post a Comment