Friday, March 19, 2010

Five insights into the behaviors of social media users

Five insights into the behaviors of social media users

This article is particularly interesting to me because social media seems so ubiquitous, but that's only because we are really immersed in it. If you are following a bunch of people, how do you remember who is following you and who isn't on Twitter and whether or not they are posting? I certainly don't remember, and don't have the time to check because I am too busy updating my other sites or reading blogs. :)

One thing that I found really amazing is the line in the article that says "Social media users of all ages are still spurred to check things out online as a direct result of face-to-face communication". I find this to be true, and thanks to the iPhone, I can check it out almost immediately. Word-of-mouth is still extremely important, and it wasn't so long ago when most companies were finding ways to guerilla market their products, and now they seem to be neglecting this in favor of social media. Oh, but both need to be focused on. Both are extremely important!!!

What does this mean for non-profits? So, many non-profits are doing one or the other--they are not using social media at all, and are trying to focus on their constituents in person or only via email. Others have foregone the in person focus for social media. Neither of these is good! Granted, I do want to work in a job where I can use my the knowledge that I have gained about social media, but I still want to be able to interact with people face to face.

Moral of the story--Face-to-face communication is still important. So is social media. Use your resources wisely!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment